Hello pleco friends,
The year 2018 has passed. It’s time for a review.
Brazil – Positive list
The list prepared at the beginning of 2012, current list is valid.
In August 2016, we learned that due to the threat situation an export ban for some popular plecos is imminent. That should affect
- Scobinancistrus aureatus (L 14) Rio Xingú
- Baryancistrus niveatus (L 26) Rio Tocantins, Rio Araguaia
- Parancistrus nudiventris (L 31 / LDA 4) Rio Xingú
- Scobinancistrus pariolispos (L 133) Rio Tocantins
- Scobinancistrus cf. pariolispos (L 48), Scobinancistrus sp. „L 253“ both from rio Xingu
- Peckoltia compta (L 134) Rio Typajos, Rio Jamanxim
- Ancistomus snethlageae (L 141/L 215) Rio Tapajós
- Leporacanthicus joselimai (L 264) Rio Tapajós (Para)
In the first half of 2018, scientific studies conducted by Prof. Leandro Sousa have shown that the responsible fishing of ornamental fish on the Rio Xingu does not endanger their existence. Furthermore, the dam project from rio Tapajós was stopped.
The affected species may therefore continue to be exported. For now at least.
News in the systematics
In the year 2018, there are two new genera
and we could read 24 new descriptions of Loricariidae:
- Ancistrus shuar, Provenzano & Barriga-Salazar, 2018
- Corumbataia liliai, Silva, Roxo, Souza & Oliveira, 2018
- Corumbataia lucianoi, Silva, Roxo, Souza & Oliveira, 2018
- Cryptancistrus similis, Fisch-Muller, Mol & Covain, 2018
- Curculionichthys jumaorum, Dias, Silva, Oliveira & Roxo, 2018
- Curculionichthys scaius, Calegari, Gamarra & Reis, 2018
- Guyanancistrus brownsbergensis, Mol, Fisch-Muller & Covain, 2018
- Guyanancistrus megastictus, Fisch-Muller, Mol & Covain, 2018
- Guyanancistrus nassauensis, Mol, Fisch-Muller & Covain, 2018
- Guyanancistrus tenuis, Fisch-Muller, Mol & Covain, 2018
- Guyanancistrus teretirostris, Fisch-Muller, Mol & Covain, 2018
- Harttia panara, Oyakawa, Fichberg & Rapp Py-Daniel, 2018
- Harttia rondoni, Oyakawa, Fichberg & Rapp Py-Daniel, 2018
- Harttia villasboas, Oyakawa, Fichberg & Rapp Py-Daniel, 2018
- Hisonotus devidei, Roxo, Silva & Melo, 2018
- Hypostomus renestoi, Zawadzki, Silva & Troy, 2018
- Pareiorhaphis mucurina, Pereira, Pessali & Reis, 2018
- Parotocinclus yaka, Lehmann, Lima & Reis, 2018
- Pseudacanthicus major, Chamon & Costa e Silva, 2018
- Pseudolithoxus kinja, Collins, Bifi, Oliveira, Ribeiro, Lujan, Rapp Py-Daniel, Hrbek, 2018
- Rineloricaria jurupari, Londoño-Burbano & Urbano-Bonilla, 2018
- Spatuloricaria terracanticum, Londoño-Burbano, Urbano-Bonilla, Rojas, Rmírez-Gil & Prada-Pedreros, 2018
- Oligancistrus javae, Chamon, Pereira, Mendonçaa & Akama, 2018
- Sturisoma graffini, Londoño-Burbano, 2018
and two subspecies
- Guyanancistrus brevispinis bifax, Fisch-Muller, Mol & Covain, 2018
- Guyanancistrus brevispinis orientalis, Fisch-Muller, Mol & Covain, 2018.
The number of new descriptions corresponds approximately to the years before.
On January 01, 2019, Jair Bolsonaro will take up his presidency in Brazil. Already in his inaugural address in October 2018, he said that he becomes due to economic interests take no consideration for nature conservation and the special rights of the Indians. There is a risk that “old projects” such as the construction of the dam on the rio Tapajós or the gold mine near the Volta Grande of rio Xingu will revive and that the special protection of the Indian territories will be undermined.
In Paraguay, I witnessed some professors demonstrating because funding for research has been cut further. In the local press of Argentina and Uruguay was to read that there also research funds are deleted. In these states, many scientists live at subsistence level.
The prospects for the plecos and their research therefore seem to be getting worse.
Particularly noteworthy offspring are certainly this year:
Meetings in Germany
In April we met at the Treffen der Mecklenburger Welsfreunde
Offers of plecos in Germany
On German stocklists, in 2018 I could discover 252 species / forms.
This is slightly more than in 2017. The supply of species has therefore remained fairly constant over the last few years. Obviously, some species seem to have a permanent place in the long term as well.
Of the plecos available in 2018, different species / forms have not yet been reproduced: these. Our task for 2019.
Other South American catfishes
Also new were described the species:
- Astroblepus rivasae, Rodríguez, 2018
- Phenacorhamdia cabocla, de Carvalho Rocha, Ramos, da Costa Ramos, 2018
- Pimelodella bockmanni, Slobodian & Pastana, 2018
- Pimelodus speciosus, Costa e Silva, Ribeiro, Lucena & Lucinda, 2018
- Platydoras birindellii, Sousa, Chaves, Akama, Zuanon & Sabaj, 2018
- Rhamdia eurycephala, Angrizani & Malabarba, 2018
- Rhamdia gabrielae, Angrizani & Malabarba, 2018
I wish you a successful catfish year 2019.
A lot of plecos friends will also read this year’s annual review. I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who have supported the website of “Welsfans – Südamerikafans” with their pictures, information, tips, … .
Without all your help, this page would not have been possible. Thank you very much.